All changes to the exterior of a dwelling unit must receive Architectural Review Committee (ARC) approval before construction or installation.
To that end, homeowners shall submit an Application (Appendix B) of the July 2019 Design Guidelines. You may download the form or hard-copy forms are available at the Standards Office. Please submit two copies of the online version; hard-copy forms are carbonless with a second copy.
Follow all instructions on the top of the Application form, to include submission of supporting documents. The required coversheet will walk you through the process to ensure that you have included everything that is required for submission.
Only Completed Applications with Coversheet Will Be Accepted.
Application for Approval (Appendix B) form must be complete and include:
- The Owner's signature
- Specify the tract, lot number, and lot type on application
- Check all items that apply to the application
- "Landscaping" doesn't automatically include any or all of the other items.
- If necessary, attach additional sheets to fully explain the request for approval
- Specify contractor's name, phone number and Arizona ROC license number
- Note: Arizona State Law requires all contractors to be licensed for jobs over $1000.00.
- One copy of a plot plan, showing all property lines, building setback lines, easements, dimensions, etc. If an Owner doesn't have a plot plan, copies are available from the Standards Office.
- Two copies of the plan drawn to scale, showing all property lines, building setback lines, easements, features, dimensions, colors, construction type, etc. Please, no plans larger than 11x17 for scanning purposes; 8-1/2 x11 or 8x14 (legal size) are preferred.
- One copy of all applicable City of Surprise permits (irrigation, rock dump, fence, electric, gas, pool/spa, plumbing, construction, etc.).
- Where ARC previously approved existing features that are shown on your plan, clearly define (highlight or label) the features that are new and to be considered on the current application. Otherwise, we will assume you are seeking approval for everything appearing on the plan. Please, no plans larger than 11x17 for scanning purposes; 8-1/2 x11 or 8x14 (legal size) are preferred.
- A resubmitted application must include a new application form and two new copies of the plan to scale, plot plan, etc. Attach the disapproved application. Please, no plans larger than 11x17 for scanning purposes; 8-1/2 x11 or 8x14 (legal size) are preferred.
- Submit Applications to the Standards Office (Palm Center)
- The ARC Sub-committee reviews applications each Thursday.
- Deadlines for application submission:
- For Homeowners: Noon each Wednesday
- For Contractors: 4:00 p.m. each Tuesday
- Reviewed applications are processed on Fridays and are ready for pick up the following Monday.
- Reviewed applications need to be picked up and signed for at the Standards Office before any work is started. Many applications have special instructions which the homeowner must sign off at the time of pick up. Failure to pick up your application does not relieve you of the responsibility for following the committee's instructions as a condition of the approval.
- Reviewed applications may be picked up from the Standards Office Monday thru Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (Holidays are exceptions and may have special hours which are posted).
- Approved work may begin once the paperwork has been picked up and signed for at the Standards Office and should be completed within 90 days of the approval date.
- An inspector will be on your property after 90 days to verify the work has been done in accordance with the approved application.
Not sure if your idea is permissible within the guidelines? Refer to the July 2019 Design Guidelines